Saturday, June 13, 2015

Mansions, Ocean Views, and Cliff Jumping -- Palos Verdes

            I'm from Palos Verdes. If you've ever been there, you might have responded to that information with a reaction similar to the myriads I have received: "That's a very nice place in the world," or "Wow, life must be hard for you," or (my personal favorite), "Um, ok, rich!" It's true, Palos Verdes is a very nice place in the world, and one of the most notable features of this city is the number of ocean-view mansions that are strewn from the top of 'The Hill' to its base by the cliffs and beaches. Before I needlessly provoke the green monster within you, let me state that I'm from a middleclass family living on the inland fringe of this well-heeled city, and I don’t live in a mansion. But when I want to have fun in my city, I don't sit and stare at the real estate – I go to the beach, or even better, I go cliff jumping.
            Palos Verdes is built on a Peninsula with coves abounding, at least ten at my last count, and anyone who doesn't set out to explore them is making a mistake. The coves hold many rewards for the adventurer, from tide pools with fascinating sea creatures to wide stretches of sandy beach to thousands of smoothly rounded fist-sized rocks. But one of the most thrilling experiences to be found is cliff jumping into the ocean. There are only a few spots to go cliff jumping in PV, and not many people living there know about them. In my book, there's one cove that takes the cake as it has all the necessary components of a good cliff jumping spot: a pleasurable hike, challenging obstacles, and (of course) a good cliff from which to jump. I'm speaking of Abalone Cove.
            Abalone Cove is right off Palos Verdes Drive South with free parking available on the street by the fire station (which, if you’ve been following my blog, you’ll know is something of high importance to me). The hike from the street down to the beach is easy and signs along the trails will point you the way. Once you get there, simply walk along the beach all the way to the cliffs. Easy, right? But wait, these are not the cliffs you'll soon be jumping from – you have to hug these cliffs and work your way around a small peninsula to the cove next door, known as Sacred Cove to locals. As you finish rounding the peninsula, you will see a 10 foot wide space between the rock you are on and the bordering rock, with water surging through the middle. The only way across is to swim, but be careful! Rising and falling tides can be dangerous, and only explorers confident in their ability should attempt this. Once across, walk along one more beach until you reach the next peninsula, known as Inspiration Point. And you're there! At the base of the cliff you will find a little cave, and at the top of the mouth of the cave is a perfect ledge for jumping. Simply scale up the cliffs, which really isn't difficult, and launch yourself down the 30-foot drop! Unless the tide is ridiculously low, you don't need to worry about hitting the bottom. There is one large rock clearly visible that is easy to avoid, but do keep an eye on it when jumping, as a careless jumper could cause himself a serious injury.

A brave jumper in wetsuit dives into the water
            For those whose sense of adventure may fall shy of leaping from cliffs, many people come to Inspiration Point simply to enjoy this beautiful site with lots of sun and lots of ocean, bringing picnics and ready to stay the afternoon. There are great spots to surf at this beach and plenty of opportunities to investigate the surrounding area. You can even enter the cave I spoke of, as well as another nearby cave. But I'll leave the exploring of those to you because if I tell you all the secrets of Abalone Cove, I'll be taking away the fun! So have an adventure, be safe,  and enjoy beautiful Palos Verdes!

No comments:

Post a Comment